Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Guilty Pleasures v.2

A Bloody Mary in the Evening.....

While this has come to be accepted as an eye opener in our day and age, I'm a sucker for them. Sometimes you don't eat dinner and all the garnish from pickled asparagus spears and green beans, to olives and cucumber slices and suchforth..... frankly does the trick. I decided tonight after hearing about friends foaming mojitos and grasshoppers i needed to step up the game.

Bloody Molecular!

Photobucket

I took one...

Photobucket
Heirloom Tomato

and then blended along with a few heirloom peppers and fresh ground Tasmanian peppercorns...

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket I added some lemon and lime along with simple and continued blending as I looked for some beef stock..... no luck. Added some emulsifier and kept blending

I recently met a guy at the bar who recently moved from wisconsin and is taking over the bar at a vegetarian restaurant. An awesome conversation about vegan bloody mary's followed and I decided to stick to those parameters.

The next steps is one of my favorites in the molecular mixology.

Blending causes a lot of air to be forced into the mix so its a good idea to let settle for a few hours before loading it into an ISI container or....... TAKE ALL OF THE AIR OUT OF IT.



Then placed said mix into said ISI canister and added a CO2 charge and the resulting foam was good, but i can improve the recipe. I've really been into the Millers Westborne Gin and its peppery-ness was a great base for the spicy sweetness of the heirloom tomato/pepper foam.

No comments: