Wednesday, April 9, 2008

This is starting to piss me off / Being upset in the morning is a bad thing.

First:
I am in the middle of hunting for work currently and am seeing a trend that is disturbing me. I have given resumes to 3 places that I have known to be looking for help. 2 of the 3 had ads on craigslist. I've checked back at all three a week after to find the places have hired really pretty girls to work for them behind the bar. One of the three was competent, granted, but I'm pissed that places that are trying to be "classic" are hiring people they need to train. Drinking has been around for YEARS! The realm of knowledge that the job entails is in place. I understand that a manager would like to leave their mark on an establishment but if you are hiring someone who doesn't know how to make a Manhattan you are really selling your bosses short.
Second:
http://www.komotv.com/news/local/17414509.html
LAKEWOOD, Wash. -- A local woman who rescued dozens of animals that were left behind by deployed soldiers is being told to give them up.
Diana VanDusen began taking in stray and unwanted pets after the animal shelter at Fort Lewis shut down. Most of the animals are old or disabled, and most come from military families from Fort Lewis who have had to move overseas.

Some of the soldiers reclaim their pets when they return home, but others do not have such a luxury.

"The rest (of the soldiers) - they had to abandon (their pets), because they didn't know when they were coming back," said VanDusen. "One cat I held for two years, and no one came back for it. So I knew it was time to adopt it out."

VanDusen keeps some of the animals in her home and the rest in an enclosed space in her backyard.

But Animal Control officers told her she's in violation of city code, which states one residence can only house up to five animals.

Officers told VanDusen that she would be fined $500 if she does not reduce the number of animals in her home to five by April 14.

VanDusen admits what she's doing is against city code, but she wants the city to realize there is no alternative.

"I just want Lakewood to show mercy. I mean, they themselves said there's nothing wrong with what I'm doing," she said.

The city's mandate leaves the soldiers' animals with nowhere to go, VanDusen said. Many of the animals in her care are old or demand special care.

In describing one of her dogs, VanDusen said "he's blind. He has a neurological disorder on his back legs. He's old, he's 14 years old. Who wants to adopt a dog that could pass away in a few months?"

Public shelters operate under adoption deadlines, she said, and animals that are not young and healthy will have a tough time getting adopted within the time frame.

"They're a big facility, yes, but they have deadlines on their animals," she said. "Here, they can stay as long as they need; I don't euthanize."

VanDusen said turning our backs on the soldiers' pets is simply unacceptable.

"We're supposed to support our troops," she said. "If they can't support the troops by supporting the animals of the troops, then I can't live in a city that doesn't back our troops. Because these guys are innocent victims of what's going on over there."

She said she's even considered moving.

"If I could relocate myself and my animals within that deadline, I would. But you see how the housing market is right now," she said.

VanDusen currently has around 20 animals in her care. She needs to find a permanent home for most of them before the city's deadline.

"It doesn't happen overnight," she said.

She's working to place those animals, but hopes the city will change its mind.

"(The city can) do monthly inspections, do whatever they have to, but let me stay," said VanDusen.

Anyone who'd like to adopt one of the dogs or cats can meet VanDusen's animals at the Puyallup PetSmart at 120 31st Avenue between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Saturday.

No comments: